Wednesday, April 22, 2015

First Draft Amanda Blake

****so last night I decided to scrape my old idea and start a new one that I feel more passionate about so its a little shorter. It will be all 2000 words tomorrow for our conference.**

There is a difference between learning about the ignorance and inequality between the genders in our society and then there is actually experiencing it. When I came to Ohio University, I was a budding feminist and almost completely unaware of the inequalities that I experience everyday as a women. Since freshman year, I have been taking Women and Gender Studies classes and this year I have declared a certificate from the WGSS program. Throughout these classes, I learned just how inequalities can be presented but never shook me to the core in my atmosphere here at OU because I thought my college was modern and liberal to be above that bias. Those were my thoughts until my junior year of school and after becoming a supervisor at my place of work. As a woman taking a superior work position over men that are my age, and some even older, I become accustomed to being called hysterical, a hard ass, annoying, needy, and words to the same liking while my male counterparts have not been called any of those names when we do the exact same work. I worked hard to achieve this position of employment and its very disheartening that my efforts go unrecognized because I am a woman in a superior position.
Until I came to college, I was a very meek person. I think I was meek because I never found anything yet to be passionate about; there was nothing that really got me excited to do something. I babysat for money, got decent grades, and lived a pretty average life. When I came to school, I branched out: went to parties, got close to my three roommates, rushed a sorority, and broke out of my shell. Living this new, social lifestyle meant paying for it. My parents provided a small allowance for me at the beginning of every month but I realized that I want a little more and more each month that went by. When I came back for my second semester, I began to start the job search for funding my midnight food runs and other entertainment expenses. I tried avoiding dining hall positions as much as I could and I wasn’t eligible for the Ohio University PACE program; I started to run out of options. I started to reach out to some of my sorority sisters and ask about their employment situations and where they were looking for jobs. After starting to get discouraged, my friend, Laura, said that she just got a job at the “call center.” She gave me the application website and said she’d talk to her boss for me.

            About a week later, I received a phone call from the manager of the call center, Carlyn Runnells. She said that she had reviewed my application and that I was welcome to come in for a group interview. After I got off the phone, I went up and down the emotion scale from excited to nervous, to happy, to full out terrified. I started asking myself the typical interview-prep questions: what am I going to wear, what is she going to ask me, who else is going to be there, what if I don’t get to talk? Finally the day came, I walked myself all the way day down Union Street, and entered with head held high and confident.

No comments:

Post a Comment