Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Tale of Two Mommies (Final)

Mutt: (noun) 1. A dog with parents of different breeds

            There is a picture of a sunny day with man standing in the deserts of Turkey. He is tall, in his late twenties, tan, handsome, and has big ears. This is the only picture I have of my father; it sits on my dresser in my bedroom. There are days that I look at that picture and wonder what kind of man he is, and what kind of woman I would have become if he had helped raised me. When I was about 5 years old I remember asking my mother why I don’t have a daddy like all of the other kids. Even though I was pretty lucky for having two mommies, I still got jealous of the kids who had someone to call Dad. Being in the nineties, the military was not accepting of homosexuals and our lives were lived inside the home and our secret was not to be told. I remember my mom trying to explain to me when I was young that I can’t go around and talk about my mommies and needed to respect her privacy. I didn’t understand, I was told never to lie but yet my entire life was a lie. Lies upon lies would build up so that I got used to living in this fictional world.  Being raised by lesbian mothers has defined me in so many ways that I am still finding new characteristics about myself that come from that specific root of my family tree.



“It isn’t what they say about you, it’s what they whisper.” - Errol Flynn

             Even though we lived in the walls of our home, the news of a gay couple with a child that had moved into town seemed to spread like wildfire everywhere I went. I remember going to school and not being invited to another girl’s birthday party, later come to find out it was because my parents were gay. I hardly even knew this girl, but in elementary school most children invited the whole class. I had neighbor parents tell me that I can go to church with them to help save me from the sins that I had no choice to live in. I remember playing tether ball with another girl and when I got hit in the face and ended up with a bloody nose she taunted me by saying in front of everyone “Why don’t you go get your guaaardian angel to come save yooooou!” My “other” mommy was referred publically as my Legal Guardian, which she was, but of course it was turned into a childish joke that would send me home in tears. At a young age I was an outcast for something that I could not control. The negative situations that I was put through due to being a child from a homosexual family turned me into a tough, open-minded, and timid little girl.

            Growing up and always being teased for my family cause for me to grow a couple extra layers of tough skin to reflect the negative comments. I like to think that because of all of the nasty comments and situations I have been put through that I can handle criticism very well. When I was very young I would take the mean things that my classmates, neighbors, and other people would say very personal. But due to having to keep “mommy’s privacy”, I was unable to stand up or fight back leading to the thick skin of my emotions as my barrier. Learning to understand that everyone has the right to their own opinions and that I can choose what I let bother me was one of the hardest mentalities that I still continue to work on today.  In the video “In My Shoes: Stories of Youth with LGBT Parents” one of the young boys talked about how he had to change schools because of being bullied. He said he would lie about his parents in order to avoid the comments from his peers. This kind of fear of rejection takes and took a toll on each of the children in this video. We have all been taunted, teased, questioned, and made an outcast for the lives of our parents and each one of us are tough. There were many times that people would say comments and my lips had to stay shut. Did they know that lesbians are raising me? Did they know that the people they are saying are evil are the people who made my breakfast? That those people make me chicken noodle soup when I am sick, pack my lunch on the days that the mystery meat is being served, or kissing and tucking me into bed every night. No. Being on the side where what is being said has offended me, I am open-minded to others feelings. I know what it is like to have my life be judged and discriminated against. I am by no means perfect, and sometimes there is no filter on my mouth, but I believe that with everything that I have heard I am more mindful in what I say because I don’t know what is going on in the lives of the people around me. I don’t know if Bobby Joe’s parents were divorced yesterday or if Suzy is struggling with an eating disorder, and my sneer comments might hurt their feelings.


            The way I was raised to be an independent and loving individual has been one of the most positive attributes that I have gained from growing up with lesbian mothers. One of the many rude questions I have been asked by people is “So, which mom is the butch one?” Really? Neither one of my mothers is the “butch” one. Just because they know how to change a tire, use a tool set, and all other “manly” chores does not make either one of them “butch”. I was raised to try and fix the broken chair, change my car oil, and not depend on others for simple fixes and repairs that can do by myself. The word independent in our household was utilized and tested constantly. Being in a household with the lack of  “manliness”, has provided me with the skills that not many little girls can say they have. I remember when I first started dating my boyfriend; he was surprised by how “handy” I was. I didn’t rely on him to fix my dresser or pump air in my tires. He didn’t have to show me show to use a hammer correctly. The independence that I gained from learning how to take care of myself from my parents is one of my characteristics that I value the most.

            With all of the hate that my parents have been put through, they have so much love to give.  I remember when I was 8 years old I got my first dog. My mom took me to the dog store and said I can choose whatever dog I wanted. So of course I went to the cute Golden Retriever puppy and wanted that one. But when my mother said “You can choose whatever dog you want”. She meant, “I will give you two options to choose from.” There was two little Lhasa Apsos I could choose from. One was white and mean; it would not stop biting on the smaller black one. I choose to take the black one and play with it. She was black and white with about 3 sets of teeth on a jaw that was pushed out. Needless to say she wasn’t the prettiest puppy. But she loved to play and jump. I feel in love with her. When we decided she was the one we took her to the front desk but the desk clerk told my mom that this puppy was discounted because she had a health issue. It turns out that this puppy had a heart murmur, and was only expected to live for about 2 years. I remember my mom looking at me and asking if I still wanted her even though she won’t be able to be apart of our family for long. My mom told me that I replied with “Its okay, I still love her.” Patches was ugly, had a princess mentality, and had a lot of health issues but she ended up living for 13 years. My parents raised me to love no matter what. It doesn’t matter is someone is tall or short, fat or skinny, or black and white give love to others like I would want them for me. I learned from them to “kill people with kindness”. There is no need to be hateful to others, even if they are hateful to you.




            Zach Wahls is a young man from Iowa who was raised by two lesbian mothers. In his speech to Iowa House of Representatives, he talks about how just because he comes from a homosexual family it does not define his character as an individual. One of the many arguments against gay marriage is that the children being raised in these homes aren’t going to be “normal”. I remember in high school sitting in class and a teacher talked about same sex marriage and the effect on children. Unfortunately he was putting his on views on the class, and the town I lived in happened to be mostly of Republicans. I had to sit and listen to my classmates say how f***** up I was and all of the children out there like me. Of course, I couldn’t stand up for myself because of the fear of outing my parents. Did any of them know that I am one of those kids? No. They have heard rumors, but my expert lies had them all deceived. Zach Wahls states in his speech “…not once have I ever been confronted by an individual who realized independently that I was raised by a gay couple, and you know why? Because the sexual orientation of my parents has had zero effect on my content of my character.”

            Being 21 years old now, I can say that I have fortunately watched society’s view on homosexuals and same sex marriage change throughout the years. Team Angelica Films produced a short film about kids from gay families, the camera crew interviews several children about themselves and their families. They start out asking each of them where they live, what they want to do when they grow up, and what would they change about the world. Then they ask them about their families. One little boy comes from a family of a man and a woman, and several of the others are from homosexual families. The last question the crew asks the children is “Do you think your family is unusual? All of them answer no. If this was filmed ten years ago and I was being asked that question, I would have answered yes. I am beyond thankful for the direction that view on homosexual families is going.

            The experiences that I have been put through define me. It is not the sexual orientation of my parents that have affected my content of my character, it is how I was bullied, treated, and told that I was a “sin” baby. I would not change the way I grew up; I love my parents and everything that they have taught and raised me to be. 

I am….
Tough.
Open-minded.
Timid.
Independent.
Loving.



           
Resources Used

No comments:

Post a Comment